Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Beginning

Hey Everyone! I decided to start a blog to keep friends and family updated on my life as a Peace Corps volunteer. I don't have much to write about yet but I figured that I should get this thing going while I am still in the states waiting to get my adventure going. I am currently in Washington D.C. waiting for the official Peace Corps staging registration. I flew in from Portland yesterday afternoon and immediately started hanging out with a few other volunteers who came in from the West also. So far there are a few from Oregon, one from Utah, and one from California. I am glad to see my home state so well represented! Last night I walked around the city with some of my new volunteer buddies and played tour guide while showing them around the monuments, the hill, and the White House. We stopped in at one of my fave spots from this summer, Union Pub, to have a beer and watch the Obama speech to congress. On our walk to the pub we even saw the motorcade drive up! Between the Budwiser, burgers, American flags, and presidential addresses on Capitol Hill we are definitely getting our fill of patriotism in this last stint in the U.S.A.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the next few hours before heading to Lima tomorrow morning where I will begin three months of intensive training. I am expecting that training will be somewhat like my study abroad experience in that we will be super busy and hanging out with fellow trainees a lot. I still have no idea what exactly I will be doing and where in Peru I will be for my official placement so I am feeling anxious to get going! I hope everything is well for all of you! Keep in touch!

1 comment: