Saturday, October 3, 2009

Time is Starting to Move Quickly

Hey everyone! It was an eventful week in Peace Corps training. Some days were more boring than others but we definitely had some exciting moments. We had our first two volunteer birthdays and the group went above and beyond to help our friends celebrate. On Monday, we started the week off well when a very serious lecture about STDs in Peru (complete with graphic pictures) was interrupted by a full mariachi performance in honor of one of the volunteers to celebrate his birthday. All of the girls danced around him while the band proceeded to serenade him. We all agreed that it would be hard to live up to the bar that had been set for birthday surprises. On Thursday, we used the creativity and enthusiasm that got us into the Peace Corps to live up to expectations on another volunteer's birthday. We had the usual cake and singing but we added a ukelele serenade to the mix. At the last minute we found a Barney the dinosaur costume which one of the boys dressed up in and proceeded to perform a rather ridiculous (and mildly disturbing) dance. All of the thought and effort that went into these gestures made me somewhat sad that my birthday doesn't fall during training but I'm sure that my host family at my site will help me to celebrate in January.

Perhaps the most exciting thing that happened this week was when the US ambassador to Peru visited our center for lunch and a question and answer session. He requested to meet us because he believes strongly in the Peace Corps as a tool for sustainable development. People asked about all different aspects of his life including his background, his opinion on the challenges we will face as volunteers, and those faced by the Peruvian people. I came away motivated to work in international development in some capacity after I finish here in Peru.

Today we went to the Universidad Agraria for the second in a 6 part workshop. We learned how to build miniature greenhouses which I look forward to doing when I get to my site. From now on our training will be comprised of more hands on, technical training rather than the theoretical and background classes that we have focused on so far. I can't wait for this because I love to be out working with my hands!

Tonight, all the local neighborhoods are hosting parties to celebrate a saint's day. I can't wait to participate in my community! My host family was telling me that last year all the gringos danced really funny. I'm sure my group will uphold this stereotype of Americans considering that none of us have even half the rhythm of the people here who grow up dancing. I have been attending dance classes once a week after school but it hasn't really made any difference. I'm hoping to be at least competent in one or two of the popular dances before I leave here.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! I really like how the girls were dancing around the birthday boy after an interrupted STD lecture! Did the lecture resume after the dancing to reinforce what dancing can lead to? I also love that you are trying to learn the local dancing! Good for you! We'll be expecting lessons upon your return!

    ReplyDelete