Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Site Assignments...Finally!

Hola todos! This week started out a little heavier than usual after spending a long weekend traveling around the Andes and then sleeping on a bus. It was obvious that everyone was still in a daze Monday morning. After a day of nearly falling asleep in class, I headed to the local library to volunteer. This week we asked the kids to draw their ideal living situation, a concept which took them a while to grasp. Initially, the kids didn't know what to draw because they most likely have not been asked to think of a future with unlimited possibilities but, after seeing the ridiculous drawings that myself and other volunteers came up with, their imaginations began to shine through. This activity was incredibly satisfying because the boost in self esteem that the students experienced was obvious immediately. By the end of the lesson we had oceans with mermaids and houses on lakes in the mountains. Everyone seemed to get a lot out of the activity so I will definitely be using it once I get to site.
On Tuesday, we got to teach English in a school which is an activity that I intend to use to get my foot in the door with students and parents once I get to site. Many of the volunteers that have spoken to us recommend teaching English to build trust (confianza) with kids and their parents. The students that we practiced on were incredibly welcoming and curious. When we walked in the room they were all standing and waving American flags that they had made in class. I can only hope that some of my efforts in site will be this well received.
On Friday we traveled to the Peace Corps headquarters in Lima where we officially found out where everyone will be for the next two years! To make these announcements, they attached 56 balloons to the wall each with a name and a site placement on it. Each volunteer through a spear at the balloons and read the name and placement from the balloon that they popped. After some screaming, tears of joy, and one close call with the spear, everyone in Peru 14 was officially given a place to live for the next two years. I am looking forward to visiting my new friends all over the country.
After site assignments were handed out, we had the afternoon free so I headed for a little slice of the USA at the mall across the street. I ate Dunkin Doughnuts and spent a good amount of time at the Apple Store checking email before heading back to the center for dance classes. If we hadn't just been given our fate for the next two years, dance class would have easily been the best part of my day. We essentially followed a Peruvian Richard Simmons through a medley of all of the popular dances in Peru mixed in with some of his own moves. I don't know if it was his short shorts, super enthusiasm, or tank top but it was impossible not to follow the instructor's lead and attempt every dance from raggaeton to huaynos (traditional music and dance from the mountains). The dancing that ensued was probably the best workout that I have gotten since I have been here.
When our own "Ricardo Simmons" finally stopped, we had one of our Peruvian Spanish instructors teach us the thriller dance. I intend to find this dance on DVD, learn the choreography, and teach a group of children in my community all the moves. I believe all of this falls under the cultural exchange goal of the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment